Sunday, September 27, 2009

weather

On the subject of weather: it's been looking like fall for awhile here, but when it's still in the 80's in the daytime, in the mid-sixties at night, and still raining regularly, it doesn't feel like fall. BTW there have been FLASH FLOODS around here lately, extremely unusual for this time of year. Stoner Creek is way up but not flooded; I haven't looked at the creek in the pasture, but I'll be it's up, too, and there have been flash floods sort of all around here. Fall as a rule is quite dry, as is late summer, but not this year, and I have all these lovely things we planted before the wedding that really look sad, and I suspect it's because of all the rain. Next year there will probably be a drought (for all you people, or any of you people, in places where you depend on aquifers and ground water and things like that, WE DON'T...we depend on the Kentucky River).

However, when I got out this morning in my rehearsal dinner suit, shoes with no stockings (linen suit), I was cold. Why? it was 59 degrees. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be in the low 70's, I think, or maybe it's the high 60's, with a low in the 50's and the next night the low in the 40's. I think summer is over. So the temperature is catching up with the trees; leaves are turning, black walnuts are falling, etc...

Lillie

1 comment:

  1. ....and I've seen a couple of wooly worms. The first sign of fall is how it sounds, though, and it's been too wet to sound like fall.

    ReplyDelete