Wednesday, September 23, 2009

no food this time, at least not much

I went to Cincinnati yesterday (by myself...) to go to IKEA to buy some bookcases and cupboards to fix up my room upstairs a bit. I am being optimistic here that Dr. Christensen will be able to sort my knees out a bit and I'll at least be able to do stairs. Cisco is going to put them together for me. I also have to organize some file cabinets that are higher, as I can't currently use the ones up there without standing on my head practically, and then sometimes I can't get back up.

I did, I confess, stop by Jungle Jim's after I left IKEA and bought another one of their ducks (head and feet and all), take an illegal photo of a hog's head, and buy some fish.

But today I'm trying to work up the courage to start websites for the house in France, a personal one, and one for the house here in Kentucky. So writing in a blog is a diversionary activity. Avoidance. I'm an expert. I've been dithering about all this for quite awhile.

So I've been trying to find out information about the cottage in France. It is clearly very, very old, and uses the outer wall of the old chateau as the back wall of the cottage. Given its location, and the fact that the steps down on the road date to the chateau, indications that there was a door in the cave that could well have been to a tunnel to the chateau, there has been (a fair amount of) speculation that it was originally the gate house to the chateau.

If this is true, then it is MUCH older than the 1600 date we were originally told. I've been trying to find info about Jean de la Salle, the bandit who owned the chateau. We're talking about the 14th century here, folks. Google references to him tend to be in French, and Old French at that. Aaaarghhh. This is not stuff I can read like it's a novel. I'll have to actually translate it, and I'm not sure it's going to let me print it out.

Forge ahead...but I did find the website for another holiday rental that's just farther up the road (our road) where the houses are newer (1800's), so that's good.

Lillie

1 comment:

  1. Old French should keep you busy for awhile. Jean de la Salle would be pleased that he's putting you out.

    ReplyDelete