Saturday, September 19, 2009

dinner on saturday 19th sept 09 (not sure it's the 19th)

So the Curtz's came over to dinner tonight; we hadn't seen them since Sarah's wedding, back in June. They all left for the cottage up in Canada before we got back from France. In truth, I don't see how I would have coped with the wedding without Brenda and Lydia (who did the flowers, the bathroom trailer, and a few other things), not to mention Gretchen Tremoulet and Therese Lew. I suppose I might have coped, but it would have been even more stressful.

It was great to see them, though, and Ben managed to put on Frank Sinatra and some of us ended up dancing (!). Ben is Lydia's boyfriend. Both are basically wonderful.

The meal was altered a bit, I fear, by the usual (not surprising, actually).

No smoked salmon rolls with goat cheese. I didn't get that far. Just some olives. Sorry, folks.

The garlic soup (potage a l'ail) did happen; it's a classic, seen sort of everywhere, in Southwest France.

Sole meuniere didn't happen, either. They did have sole at the Kroger in Beaumont, where Martin works. AND it was fresh. However, when I got it home, I realized that it was going to be a serious pain (!) making sole meuniere for eight people. Two or three, or even four? not too bad. But EIGHT? that stuff needs to be served the instant it's ready. Soooo, I did a (very loose) version of a Julia Child recipe, with the stuff "poached" in this stuff made from shallots, butter, various dried mushrooms, white wine, water, hey, I don't remember what all was in it...I cooked it awhile, poached the sole in it, took it out, thickened the mushroom stuff with beurre manie, cooked that awhile longer, and put some cream in it. Then I put the sole back in, put it in a pan with gruyere on it, heated it in a warming oven for a few minutes, and served it with fingerling potatoes (boiled, with butter, chopped parsley, and not nearly enough salt), and acted like I knew what I was doing... So there.

Bread with all courses.

Mediocre salad...

Cobbler with several fruits, and they said it was good, even though I made it with soy milk instead of the real stuff (so I could eat it ((!))) and cream on top.

It was great seeing the Curtz's. Have missed them greatly.

Don't know what I would have done without Brenda, Lydia, et al. at the wedding. So there...

Lillie

2 comments:

  1. And you still had the energy (and sobriety) to write a post? (smile!)
    The fish sounds wonderful.
    I'm curious about the soy milk, though. The one time I tasted it, it was very sweet. So I'm thinking you didn't add any sweetener?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ALWAYS get the unflavored soy milk. It can be hard to find but isn't as difficult as it used to be. Beats me why they think I want vanilla flavored soy milk. The cobbler was good. I made it again last night; it's soooo easy, and I still had this huge bag of frozen fruit from the wedding. There's enough left for a third cobbler. I do it with real butter (my mother always used cheap margarine), and I think it may need more BKP with soy milk than with the cow's stuff, but I'm not going to add more, and it still tastes good.

    ReplyDelete