Wednesday, September 30, 2009

back to food

The orthopod doesn't want to operate on my rotator cuff, at least not right now. I think my knees are a higher priority anyway.

I actually cooked what I think is a decent meal tonight, for a change.

They had sole at Fresh Market (I went in there planning to buy some scallops, but came away with sole), and had some lovely red bell peppers I bought yesterday (I have driven to Lexington every day so far this week, far too much, and too much of it in the Volvo, which is hard to steer and hurts my back--I got these holes in the bottom of the Buick, nobody seems to have a clue how).

We had sole meuniere, which wasn't gorgeous but tasted good, and I made soup out of the red peppers, which I basically made up. Had decided I wanted to make soup, and all the recipes I found wanted me to use either peppers and tomatoes, or milk, or orange in there with the peppers. Here's what I ended up with and it was GOOD:

3 fat red bell peppers
3 fat shallots
1 fat garlic clove
olive oil
a glob of butter
fresh thyme leaves
salt pepper
about 3 cups of chicken broth
fresh basil leaves

Broiled the peppers until the skins were black, cooled them, peeled them, seeded them, cut them into pieces, etc.
Heated some olive oil and a blob of butter, sauteed the shallots in it(chopped them in the food processor first), added salt, pepper, the pressed garlic clove, the peppers, chicken broth, cooked it a bit, added thyme leaves, cooked it more. Whirred it with that electric immersion thing. Heated it a bit more. Served it with basil on top. It was good.

The sole was good too, just salted and peppered and cooked in butter, served with chopped parsley and lemon wedges. It didn't have enough salt on it, though (the butter was unsalted, and I never seem to get the salt right).

French bread, a glass of wine, and it was so late we didn't even want the cheese I had out.

So there...

Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment