Monday, September 14, 2009

news and food

So I am supposed to be doing PT for my rotator cuff tears and rips, and I'm not convinced that it is or will do any good. I just want my shoulder to stop hurting. And I had MRI's on both my knees today, which is a colossal bore (MRI's, that is), and they of course can't do both of them at the same time. So I lay there for about an hour, and was only able to make about 30 words out of the letters of Toshiba (the brand of the machine) I suspect because I couldn't write them down, and also I got bored with it. Some of them are obscene. And I had to get them in there to brace my right shoulder because it started hurting a LOT from lying there immobile for so long.

Only have the radiologist's report from one knee, my left one (I go back on Thursday to discuss all this at the orthopod's office), and is says among other things that the cartilage on the back of my patella is largely "denuded", which I already knew. But I also have a cyst that is 5 x 3.4 x 1.1 cm. That's CENTIMETERS not MILLIMETERS. 5 cm is TWO INCHES. Crap. And I looked at the MRI's, didn't know what I was looking at, but the right one looks about like the left one, so there's probably a huge cyst there, too. Great.

After that lovely activity I went shopping for food. The other day I bought a big coffee table type book of Jacques Pepin's that was remaindered. Tonight we're having this poached cod with black butter on it from that book, and also artichoke bottoms stuffed with snails. These could turn out to be either spectacular or a spectacular bore. I went to Critchfield's, too, where you can get this wonderful butter made in an Amish community somewhere around here, as well as frozen weird meat things. They now (or at least, for now) have rabbit. SO I bought one. They also had veal sweatbreads, and I bought a package. I need to figure out what I'm going to do with them before I thaw them out, though. I bought some fresh kidneys in France after Val rhapsodised about them, and lost my nerve. Finally had to throw them out.

Got a letter from the Standard Insurance Company informing me that as far as they are concerned, I am still disabled and will probably remain so until I am 65. Not sure what happens then but I suspect the money, such as it is, stops. This so long as I don't earn any money or, as I read it, collect any retirement money. I don't quite understand that. And Social Security is still depositing disability money into my account, although they have still not notified me that I am disabled. I was told to visit the Social Security office and demand the papers, but that is a seriously dreary prospect.

My exciting activity tomorrow is a (badly needed, it's really straggly) haircut. And probably some more food shopping. I do need some more tea, which means going to this Persian grocery store I don't like. But you can't have everything. I also hope they come tackle the septic system tomorrow. We can't wash clothes, although we can shower, flush and wash dishes. Evidently there is a collapsed tile pipe in the field mine. Fun and games.

Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment