Thursday, September 17, 2009

Doctors, food and Paris

First, Paris. Evidently they are shooting at least part of the film Secretariat in Bourbon County, partly on Claiborne Farm and partly in downtown Paris. It is of course about the horse. People are scurrying around getting Main Street (or maybe it's High Street, they are parallel and both one-way and I get them confused) all gussied up and the streets cleaned and things like that. And there's a Secretariat Festival on the 26th down at the Fairgrounds. Not sure what that's going to involve; there are a couple of banners across the road through town about it.

We weren't living here when they filmed Seabiscuit partly in Paris, but there was evidently nothing bad that came of it, and lots of buildings were fixed up for the event.

Second, food. I've been in a real funk lately and was in a REAL funk yesterday, feeling lousy and feeling sorry for myself and not feeling like cooking; I bought two lobsters at Meijer's and boiled them, and that's what we had. They are such a pain and a mess to eat, and they clearly hadn't been in the ocean all that recently, although both were seriously alive and kicking. But they were indeed easy to cook, and they were pretty good. The Curtz's are coming over on Saturday for dinner, and I have no idea what I'm going to cook, and I'll have to go in to Lexington to go shopping. Again. Have had to drive to Lexington every single day this week, for various reasons. The septic system sort of died, and it was an ordeal getting somebody to figure out what was actually wrong with it (many conversations with George, lots of phone calls, THREE different companies out trying to deal with it), let alone fix it. Ended up with at least one huge bill, two others undoubtedly on the way, and replacement of rather a great deal of the line out to the septic tank, which is waaaay out there in the pasture, not up near the house where you'd expect it to be. Aaargh. We also got Phil's grandmother's wrought iron table with the glass top and six chairs, which has been passed around among his cousins for many years. Needs to stay in the family. It's now on the back porch (at rather great expenditure of funds we don't have), and needs stripping and painting, and new covers on the chair cushions, which are lovely but don't go with anything else in our house.

And then there have been all my visits to PT folks, my exercise class and doctors. I am truly sick of it. The PT on my right shoulder is doing, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing, and I suspect that surgery is going to be in order. I do not want to do it, but this seriously impairs the use of my right arm, when added to the carpal tunnel and arthritic conditions in my hand(s).

Then there are my knees. Turns out they can't fix them just by putting this synthetic stuff in there to maybe lubricate the back of the patellas; I have a tear in the meniscus, whatever that is, in my right knee, and have to have surgery on that before they can do anything else. This is all so BORING; I don't have time for anything else.

Somebody needs to shoot me, but I get to choose who, AND I get to decide who has to clean up the mess. Maybe I should donate blood to a few people before I go (this is the vindictive side of me talking here, as my blood is contaminated).

Enough complaining. My next post will be INTERESTING. It may be about food, but I promise it won't just be complaining...

Lillie

1 comment: