Sunday, October 25, 2009

yet another comment

Has anyone noticed that I have posted three (I think) entries without making a single disparaging remark about the demise of Gourmet magazine?

If anyone out there finds a copy of Julia's Mastering the Art of French Cooking Volume I (which is HIGHLY unlikely) that is in decent shape, please let me know....I have one that I got as a Book of the Month Club offer, I think, or something like that, back in about 1965 or so, and it is seriously falling apart. Bought another some many years later, remaindered, somewhere, and gave it to Sarah. But this is really the book I used to teach myself how to cook.

If the boys ever get well, I may start cooking again...

Lillie

7 comments:

  1. If anybody finds a copy? Swing a dead cat in the cookbook section at Barnes & Noble, and shame on J-B if they don't have a copy. I don't think it's ever going out of print, and the popularity of "Julie & Julia" has put the book back at the top of bestseller lists recently.

    Heck, my copy is in excellent condition, and I can send you excerpts or put the whole thing in the mail if needed. (Can't remember if Mom and Dad have a copy.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you ever use it?

    She has all those recipes for cured meats, too,can't remember if they're in Volume I or II.

    ReplyDelete
  3. try www.abebooks.com. I have better luck there than at amazon for used/op books. The prices often are lower than amazon's used/op books, but not always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have vol. 1. It has a bunch of stuff about aspics, molded mousses, pates and Terrines...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes. Her methods are usually a little more exacting that I can pull off on a weeknight. I'll often refer to it if I need an idea or as a starting point, but only a few times have I cooked directly from it. Not always sure why. Cured meats don't ring a bell, but I'll have to check - I only have vol. 1, not vol. 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cured meats may well be in II. I'll check later when I go into the kitchen.

    I use it a LOT as a reference. Like when I bought the sweetbreads and had never cooked them before. Also (especially for something you've never done before) she has variations on the basic themes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I checked; all the sausage, confit, jambon persille, etc., is in Volume II. Chapter 5. Volume I has a few things that call for duck or goose confit (e.g., cassoulet) but the techniques and recipes are in Volume II.

    ReplyDelete