Monday, January 11, 2010

weather

The weather in central Kentucky still stinks...so there. I think it's been nearly two weeks since the temp was above freezing. Normally this is fine; however, it is so ridiculously expensive to actually warm any of this house, I'm getting sorta worried about it.

The kitchen is far too far away from the boiler system for the boiler to keep it anything near warm, and that heat pump in the kitchen doesn't actually work when it's this cold; most days it's been in the 40's in the kitchen, and I can't face cooking when it's that cold.

For some strange reason, the heat pump just outside the back porch seems to be working pretty well, so the back porch (which in some ways acts as a sun room, at least when there's sun, which has been rare lately) has actually been more or less warm...and the den we've kept warm by keeping the wood burning stove in there going. It's ALMOST 68 degrees....whee!!

All the pipes in the cabin are frozen, as we didn't get the below-floor heater out there turned on before the deep freeze set in. I decided that the best strategy is to just wait it out and hope nothing bursts.

The pantry (the room with the pantry, washer and dryer, etc...) has been in the 30's for awhile. I am making duck prosciutto, and it's hanging in there, and NOT curing at a rapid rate, I might add.

Normally I really like cold weather, but all my joints hurt, and it's too cold to cook in the kitchen, so I'm not cooking, and I gotta admit, I'm ready for it to break. Cold and snow is good, but this is a bit over the top.

So there...

Cheers, Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment