Wednesday, January 13, 2010

more on weather, more on food

The deep freeze up here seems to be breaking. It actually got up to 30 degrees today. I went out without Mary Ann's fur coat, just with two sweaters and my Harris tweed blazer, and survived. Maybe all the snow and ice on the drive will melt tomorrow...which means that just maybe the boys will quit driving the Buick so I can have it back. Not sure why exactly I am the one who seems to drive the Volvo when the weather is bad (it's a 1994 sedan I bought from Brenda 10 years ago...still runs like a top but it's hard on my back, and I'm the one with the bad back...), but that's the way it's been.

My duck breast prosciutto that is curing in the pantry (aka laundry room) isn't ready, probably because it's been TOO COLD in there, as it's been in the 30's lately. The boiler system can't cope that far away, and we keep it closed off when the weather is frigid.

The kitchen is almost warm enough to start thinking about some more of my charcuterie projects, like sauerkraut (I bought a cabbage to try that with), sausage (I bought casings and a sausage stuffer, just need to take the plunge and try it...).

On the other hand, it's not yet mid-January, so the brief break in the weather could be brief.

Cheers, Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment