Monday, January 11, 2010

food, despite the weather

So I got this Charcuterie book for Christmas. I asked for it, actually. I've made this cured salmon, and am making duck prosciutto. Now my project is sauerkraut. The prosciutto is hanging in the pantry, which has been in the 40's for awhile; it's been there over a week and is clearly not yet ready. It's seriously too cold...

The cured salmon is ready, not sure whether it will be worth a damn...

Made some sausage, after a fashion, today. Bought myself a meat grinder attachment to my Kitchenaid mixer. Also bought a sausage stuffer for the mixer. Need to figure out how to actually make the meat grinder gizmo work before I start trying to stuff sausage with it. Bought sausage gizmos (the casings) at Critchfield's the other day.

Will keep you posted...

The pork filling for tacos I ground today turned out okay. Not great, but okay.

And part of my problem is that the kitchen is, shall we say, too cold, e.g. COLD.

Cheers, Lillie

1 comment:

  1. Okay, have I mentioned that I'm officially jealous? Cured salmon is fantastic (I've tried it once, mine was a bit overcured and salty, and the piece I used was too small, but it was good) and even better, I could keep it in the fridge.

    I've largely already lost any other curing battles, though, as 1) our climate - both temp and humidity - are not conducive to having a cool place to hang meat to dry, and 2) there's no good place in the house to do this. I haven't put the effort into rigging up any sort of cooling chamber where I could try and control temp and humidity, and I have no idea where I'd store it when not in use (not in use? hah!), so charcuterie remains something of a dream for me. I'm watching your adventures with a keen eye, though, and may have to take the plunge.

    And if it helps any, we've been under a hard freeze for the last week. In HOUSTON. Temps in the mid to upper 20s remind me that I've lost most resistance to cold that I once had. The days have gotten back up over freezing, and this should pass in the next couple of days, but yeah. Cold.

    And, if you don't feel like braving the stuffer, just remember that meatloaf is really just a freeform caseless sausage.

    ReplyDelete