Friday, January 1, 2010

exploring eastern Kentucky

So we're a whole lot closer to the stereotypical eastern Kentucky than I thought. I realize that US 68 (the highway we're on) goes basically east/northeast. I was feeling housebound this afternoon and decided to go in search of another covered bridge, one in Fleming County. We're in Bourbon County; the next one up is Nicholas County; and Fleming County is just past that one. Soooo, I went to Carlisle (maybe 10 miles up the road) and got on US 32 toward Flemingsburg. I was INSTANTLY in Appalachia...narrow roads, steep ravines, decrepit barns, trailer houses with junk piled all over the place outside, old cars rusted out, lots of tiny churches (none Catholic, few mainstream Protestant, rather think Holiness, 4-5-6 hour services with one lay preacher after another, snake handling...). I FINALLY got to Flemingsburg, which is a cute little town with actual schools and a hospital, etc. This had taken forever, and I never did make it to the covered bridge I was looking for. Instead, I headed back, and too the first road I found that would dump me out on US 68, an actual highway...

Happy New Year, everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment