Saturday, March 27, 2010

trip to Texas

Just got back from Texas last Tuesday. Shorter trip than I'd planned, because my life has been hijacked by my rheumatologist (what exactly is wrong with that word? this editor does NOT like it), who talked me into trying yet another of the biologic drugs, hoping to find a magic bullet to deal with my RA. This is the second. I've already tried Enbrel for several months, and it didn't do squat.

It would be really nice if one of these were to work; it would be lovely to be able to get out of bed at a reasonable hour, and get going asap, etc. I realize that nothing is going to cure the joints that are already rotten, or make my spine 20 years old again, which would also mean that I would once again be almost (ALMOST) 5'5" instead just barely over 5'2". This at least gives me a reasonably good excuse to be short, fat in the mid-section, etc. But I do still have skinny legs, right?!?

And while I'm basically lonely and bored, and not intellectually stimulated like I was when I was working, AND am bored with having to deal with all these chores at home that everybody has been ignoring for > 6 years, I am optimistic. I WILL manage to get re-engaged. I WILL get rid of a whole slew of books we have that NOBODY will ever look at again, which will relieve the pressure to acquire yet more bookshelves. I WILL get the family financial books, home inventory, appraisals, etc., under control. AND I WILL do it while making pancetta, duck breast prosciutto (SOMEBODY please, PLEASE tell me where to get cheesecloth around here for a reasonable price?!?).

Also, while I was in Texas, San Antonio to be exact, specifically Central Market, the high-end grocery store owned and run by HEB, the Texas version of Kroger, I talked to a couple of the folks working there about making cheese. They make their own Mozzarella. I came back with three cartons of their Mozzarella curd. Yesterday I actually worked up the courage to make some Mozzarella from one of them (need to use them all SOON, as the stuff doesn't last very long once you open the package and expose it to air and whatever...she suggested a week, but it's already been longer than that). The boys loved it. I think I left the stuff too long in the brine (salt and water), but must admit it was good.

Stay tuned...

Cheers, Lillie

3 comments:

  1. I found cheap cheesecloth a few years ago when I was trying to keep a cat (that turned out to be a possum) out of the back yard. It had to have been cheap. I'll try to remember where I got it.

    Why don't you skip the books and financial stuff and just make bacon and cheese? You would come much closer to inner peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. because SOMEBODY has to worry about the books and financial stuff or I won't have a kitchen where I can make bacon and cheese...would Charles like to volunteer? maybe I could at least persuade him to help me learn to do EVERYTHING in Quicken. My tolerance for learning curves gets smaller and smaller every year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I doubt C would want to take on your books. Ours already interfere with golf. I imagine he'd be happy to teach you what he knows about Quicken, though.

    ReplyDelete