Saturday, March 27, 2010

food

About the duck breast prosciutto. Have made it twice before and it was really, really good. The stuff I made yesterday needs to be hung wrapped in cheesecloth in the pantry (it's still pretty cool in there, what with not being very warm outside, and the pantry being so far from any heating that it doesn't get actually hot until late summer...AND there's a thermometer on the counter in the room). The problem is that I started this pancetta from pork belly, which wasn't ready to hang before I left for Texas, and should have been dealt with, washed, dried, rolled, peppered, tied and wrapped while I was down there. But it wasn't because I wasn't here (it was in a zip-lock bag in the fridge). So yesterday I washed it, dried it (maybe it was Thursday), peppered it, rolled it, tied it (perhaps not all that well...this is not exactly my forte), wrapped it in the rest of my cheesecloth, and couldn't figure out how to actually hang it on the rod in the pantry where it's cool. It is on the laundry drying rack, which means there is air on all sides, so it can cure, or whatever it is it's supposed to do.

Makes it a bit awkward for hanging clothes on the drying rack.

Also means I need more cheesecloth for the duck breast prosciutto.

ALSO, I was making sauerkraut. From a cabbage. Was not exactly a success. Had to throw it out. Will try again later.

Lillie

No comments:

Post a Comment