Monday, August 24, 2009

Old post and new book

I don't remember what I said to Phil. That was a week ago.

I DO remember what the orthopod said to me about my right shoulder. My bones are good (amazing!); I have a tear in my rotator cuff; the rest of the tendon is still attached, but there is some "junk" in there and the tendon is thinner than it should be. It may be "age-related". I really, really hate that term. He basically doesn't know whether he can fix my problem so is sending me first to a PT person ("Pain and Torture" rather than "Physical Therapy", IMHO).

A biologist who visited us a week or so ago, with her father in tow, came to dinner. Very interesting, from North Carolina, but not the part where my mother's Scottish family is from. They did, however, tell me about a book I have since ordered and stayed up until 2:00 a.m. reading (Lord, I love doing that...used to all the time, but haven't for years...). It's about a woman from the Scottish Highlands who came to central Texas in 1823 after they were kicked out of Scotland. Got a Stephen F. Austin land grant on the Brazos river near what was eventually Columbus, I think. So far, it's GREAT. By somebody I've never heard of before, a Texan named Kim Wiese. Does anybody know anything about her?

3 comments:

  1. Lillie,

    I am now a "follower" of the soon-to-be-famous, then-to-be-infamous BackinKentucky blog. I am hoping that you are feeling good and staying healthy and agile, and that B in K becomes more of a Grange's greatest hits and book review clearinghouse than a WebMD Jr. But you're the boss!

    Always enjoy reading your stream of consciousness. Are you sure your family name is not Burroughs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burroughs? Not that I know of. How about Proust?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I **knew** you were of pioneer stock.

    ReplyDelete