Wednesday, February 17, 2010

food and things

Got yet another copy of Bon appetit in the mail yesterday. This is the wonderful mag I now get compliments of Conde Nast since they canned Gourmet. What's the cover story?!? One dish casserole meals. Tamale pie, staple of pot luck dinners in Texas. I'm underwhelmed by the recipe, too. Tuna noodle casserole, complete with crushed potato chips on top. Give me a bloody break.

The copies of Bon Appetit may make good kindling if I managed to roll them up. Mary Elizabeth gave me a subscription to La Cucina Italiana, which is promising. Now if that were paired with a similar magazine on France, it would go a ways toward replacing the gap in serious food writing created by the demise of Gourmet.

It's been too cold and nasty to cook; the kitchen is too cold. Cancelled my trip to Texas last week, actually postponed it to sometime in March. It will, I hope, warm up a bit both here and there. And maybe the snow will melt. I am seriously tired of trying to talk people into bring fire wood in so I can keep the den warm.

I may have found a fabric store in Cincinnati. And I have directions...now I just need to muster the energy to drive up there.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment