Friday, November 6, 2009

Sesame Street

It took me approximately the entire week to figure out that the "logos" on Google this week were Sesame Street characters because this week is the 40th anniversary of the invention/creation/release of Sesame Street. And there was an entire "Fresh Air" hour devoted to it, a great deal of which I heard while driving back from Lexington this afternoon. Sarah and I spent a great deal of time watching Sesame Street in the house on Nicholasville Road (also Mr. Rogers, and Today's Special--I found Mr. Rogers a bit dull but she didn't, and we both thought Today's Special was great, at least I think we did--I know I did). I have a couple of distinct memories. One was of her (Sarah, about 1, I think) wreaking havoc in the pantry, moving stuff off the shelves, I think, and suddenly saying "Pogga, Pogga, Pogga...", and making a bee-line for the living room, where Kermit was talking about something or other (Pogga being, of course, "frog"). Another was when I had my brief career doing latch-hook, and made the cover for a pillow of Ernie. When I had FINALLY finished, and showed it to Sarah, her only response was, Where's Bert?!? I think I MAY have actually turned Ernie into a pillow, but I HATED latch-hook stuff, and sorry, Baby, but Ernie never materialized.

Love, Mom

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember Today's Special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, Gretchen, why exactly are we both up so late?!?

    Today's Special was on A&E, I think, late morning; it was a show out of Toronto, and was in a department store. After hours, the mice, etc. took over the store, and they put this hat on a mannequin, who of course wasn't a person, but he became a boy when they said these magic words. And because he was really a mannequin, he didn't know anything, so they had to teach him about everything. Every day it was something different, e.g., "Today's Special".

    Sarah and I both loved it.

    Lillie

    ReplyDelete