Tuesday, May 11, 2010

more random thoughts

I am actually not going to say anything here about the blow-out in the gulf of mexico...

some of the folks who were here on Saturday at the graduation gig (not sure there were any actual graduates involved this year...I don't ask these questions anymore, though)...it was pretty much a success, and the only reason I think I may actually do it again next year is because I got SO MANY compliments on the food and drink as well as the setting, etc. Unfortunately, the setting wasn't ideal this time, as it was not typical mid-May weather this time. It didn't rain, but it was too cold, too windy, etc. I had a seriously large number of very large potatoes to use with the potato guns, but nobody used them because it was too cold to do anything much outside. bummer. But what the **** does one do with 30+ pounds of potatoes?!? toss some of them, cook some of them, give some of them away...

Many thanks to Eula, as well as Gretchen and Charles Tremoulet, for helping out at the party. Lots of interesting people to talk to; I was unfortunately so tired from staying up so late cooking on Friday night that I confess I didn't enjoy it much. Evidently pretty much everybody else did, though. I did the planning, shopping, prep, and cooking; Eula did kitchen support (with compensation...); Phil and Martin did the yard work and set-up; Gretchen and Charles did a ton of the rest of the work; and Eula cleaned up everything that nobody else had afterward...

I will at least consider continuing the tradition, and I admit I enjoy a lot of it, but it's a LOT of work...and I also admit that I've become much better at it, so there...

I wish I had done our tax returns...

At least I don't feel so bad now; Elena Kagan is as short as I am now...

My new problems with my back and knees have me seriously worried...

It's even colder in the Dordogne right now than it is here...AND there's this problem with the volcano in Iceland...we may not actually be able to get to France in a couple of weeks...

Cheers, Lillie

2 comments:

  1. 30 lbs is a boatload of potatoes. Do exotic fowl eat potatoes?

    Happy to help. Had a superb time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nope.
    you can make a LOT of baked potatoes out of them though.

    Also, I gave an entire bag to Eula. So there. Along with a lot of other stuff. I don't want to have to look at it OR eat it...

    So there...

    ReplyDelete